Meet the Doctors
With nearly 20 years in private practice. Dr. Gloria J. Thomas is an experienced plastic surgeon specializing in cosmetic and breast surgery, including breast enhancement, breast lift, and breast reduction. She is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Surgery, and she is dedicated to staying at the forefront of her field by regularly attending continuing education classes to further master her craft.
After receiving her doctorate from the University of Southern California, Dr. Thomas went on to become the chief resident of general surgery at The Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati and did her fellowship in plastic surgery at Kettering Medical Center in Kettering, Ohio. She has been consistently recognized for her achievements, receiving several “Top Doctor” designations and being named Woman of the Year 1993 for the city of Cincinnati, Ohio. She has also been trained extensively in skin rejuvenation, is a member of the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, the American Medical Association and the American Association of Anti -Aging Medicine.
- Bachelor of Science: New York University
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Southern California
- Plastic Surgery: Kettering Medical Center, Wright State University (Kettering, OH)
- Chief Resident, General Surgery:
- The Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati (Cincinnati. OH) General Surgery:
- PGY IV, The Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati (Cincinnati, OH) General Surgery:
- PGY-II-III. St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center (Hartford, CT) General Surgery:
- PGY-I, General Surgery Hospital and Medical Center (Hartford, CT)
- American Medical Association
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American Association of Anti -Aging Medicine
- American and Dade County Medical Associations
- Florida Medical Association
- American College of Phlebology
- Phlebology Society of America
Dr. Ioana Carabin obtained her undergraduate degree with a double major from Adelphi University in Garden City, New York. She graduated with a medical degree from Mount Siani School of Medicine and trained at one of the most prestigious Ear, Nose & Throat, Head and Neck, Facial Plastic Surgery programs in the United States – Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City.
In clinical practice since 1991, Dr. Carabin has attained extensive clinical and surgical experience, which have also been recognized in her being appointed Assistant Professor of Medical Education, University of Central Florida, College of Medicine, in Orlando Florida.
Further, in addition to the clinical experience, Dr. Carabin has attained national recognition by working with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in obtaining approval for medical devices, food and dietary supplement ingredients and products.
Because of her extensive work in the area of safety and efficacy of dietary supplements, she has been an invited speaker at national meetings and has published extensively on the topic of utilizing clinical trials to demonstrate the efficacy of dietary supplements.
- 2009 Assistant Professor of Medical Education, University of Central Florida, College of Medicine, Department of Medical Education, Orlando, FL.
- 1988 – 1991 Residency / Chief Resident, Otolaryngology, The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY.
- 1986 – 1988 Residency, General Surgery, Northshore University Hospital (affiliate of Cornell University) Manhasset, NY.
- 1982 – 1986 M.D., Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY.
- 1980 – 1982 B.A., Double major in Natural Sciences and Humanities, Adelphi University, Garden City, NY.
- 1978 – 1980 A.A., Suffolk County Community College, Brentwood, NY.
- English, Romanian, French
LICENSURE & CERTIFICATIONS
- Florida State: Active since 1993
- Georgia State: Active since 1991
- New York State: Active since 1989
- DEA number: Active
MEDICAL SOCIETIES / ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIPS
- 2009 – present American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
- 2008 – present Orange County Medical Society
- 2006 – present Society of Toxicology (SOT)
- 1997 – present American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA)
- 1990 – present The American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
- 1984 – present The American Medical Association (AMA)
INVITED LECTURES & PRESENTATIONS
- 2009 Safety Assessment of Sclareolide as a Food Ingredient. Poster Presentation. 48th Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology (SOT), Baltimore, MD.
- 2009 Assessment of the toxicity and mutagenicity of a novel soluble polysaccharide. Poster Presentation. 48th Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology (SOT), Baltimore, MD.
- 2007 Structuring clinical development to support claims in the United States. 4th Inventages Summit. Great Exuma, Bahamas.
- 2006 Overview of gender-related health issues as functional foods targets. Part of the symposium entitled: Functional Foods for Women’s Health. 2006 IFT Annual Meeting + Food Expo, Orlando, FL.
- 2006 Biomarkers and clinical trials for claim substantiation. Part of the symposium entitled: Nutrigenomics and Metabolomics: Application to Qualified Health Claims/Structure-Function Claims. Food Drug Law Institute (FDLI), co-sponsored by FDA, 49th Annual Conference, Celebrating the Centennial of 1906 Pure Food & Drugs Act, Washington, DC.
- 2006 Clinical trial data as a new requirement for food ingredient safety. Part of the symposium entitled: New Food Ingredients Do Not Need New Food Regulations. Society of Toxicology (SOT), 45th Annual Meeting & ToxExpo, San Diego, CA.
- 2005 Why use clinical trials for dietary supplements? Associates of Clinical Research Professionals, ACRP 2005 Conference & Exhibition North America, Orlando, FL.
- 2005 Clinical study design for health claim substantiation. Institute of Food Technologists; 2005 IFT Annual Meeting + Food Expo. New Orleans, LA.
- 2003 The growing need for clinical evaluation of food ingredients. The Society of Food Science and Technology, Institute of Food Technologists, National Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- 2002 Functional foods and the growing need for clinical evaluation of food ingredients. American Chemical Society, National Meeting, Boston, MA.
- 1988 Partial turbinectomy for nasal airway obstruction. Presented at the Spring Meeting of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, FL.
- 1986 Vestibular efferent neuron collaterals in the rabbit. Presented at the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, FL.
- 1985 Endometrial Carcinoma Research Project, Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY.
SELECTED MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS & BRIEFINGS
- 2010 Sleep Health & Safety 2010 Conference – National Sleep Foundation, WashingtonD.C.
- 2009 Sleep Medicine & Polysomnography Seminar – The Atlanta School of Sleep Medicine & Technology, Atlanta, GA.
- 2008 Palomar’s Skin Rejuvenation and Body Sculpturing Seminar – Fractional Technology and Advances in Laser-Assisted Lipolysis, Orlando, FL.
- 2008 Shedding “Lite” on Health Benefits. Calorie Control Council. 2008 Educational Symposium, Naples, FL.
- 2008 Advances in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, sponsored by Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, West Hollywood, CA.
- 2008 SupplySide West 2008, dietary supplements, food and beverage, and cosmeceutical ingredients exhibit, Las Vegas, NV.
- 2008 AmericanCollege of Nutrition. 49th Annual Meeting“Advances in Clinical Nutrition”, Arlington, VA.
- 2008 Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), Annual Meeting & Food Expo, New Orleans, LA.
- 2008 American Chemical Society Spring National Meeting & Exposition, New Orleans, LA.
- 2008 SOT Annual Meeting & ToxExpo, Seattle, WA.
- 2008 The Orlando Dermatology & Aesthetic Conference, Orlando, FL.
- 2007 Dietary Reference Intakes Workshop, Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board Workshop, Washington DC.
- 2007 Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), Annual Meeting & Food Expo, Chicago, IL
- 2007 4th Inventages Summit. Great Exuma, Bahamas.
- 2007 SOT Annual Meeting & ToxExpo, Charlotte, NC.
- 2007 International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI) Annual Meeting, Cancun, Mexico.
- 2006 Sex Differences and the FDA Critical Path Initiative. FDA, Office of Women’s Health & Society for Women’s Health Research, Washington, DC.
- 2006 Off Label Use of Medications and Devices. Society of Women’s Health Research. Washington, DC.
- 2006 Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), Annual Meeting & Food Expo, Orlando, FL.
- 2006 49th Annual Conference. Celebrating the Centennial of the 1906 Pure Food & Drugs Act. Sponsored by The Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI) and co-sponsored by FDA. Washington, DC.
- 2006 The WHI Legacy to Future Generations of Women / Women’s Health Initiative, Sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and U.S. DH&HS, Bethesda, MD.
- 2006 Society of Toxicology45th Annual Meeting & ToxExpo, San Diego, CA.
- 2005 Congressional Briefings:
- Botanical Dietary Supplements: Scientific Perspectives and Public Health Pitfalls. Sponsored by Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-IL) (January 31, 2005); and
- Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA) and Rep. Susan David (D-CA) (February 1, 2005). Washington, DC.
- 2005 FDA Clinical Trial Requirements Regulations, Compliance, and GCP Conference. Sponsored by the Society of Clinical Research Associates (SoCRA), Philadelphia, PA.
- 2005 ACRP 2005 Conference & Exhibition North America. Sponsored by Associates of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP), Orlando, FL.
- 2004 Toxicology of Dietary Supplements. Sponsored by the Society of Toxicology (SOT), Fall Symposium, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD.
- 2004 Qualified Health Claims, Sponsored by the Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI), Washington, DC.
- 2004 Legal Issues in Clinical Research, Sponsored by the Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI), Washington, DC.
- 2003 Dietary Supplement Use in the Elderly, Sponsored by the National Institute of Health (NIH), Bethesda, MD.
- 2003 Project Management: Tools and Techniques, University of Florida, Orlando, FL.
- 2003 The art of project management, University of Florida, Vero Beach, FL
- 2003 AAO-HNS Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL.
- 2002 Therapies for Rare Disease: From Bench to Marketplace, Sponsored by the Dept. of Health & Human Services, Washington, DC.
- 2001 AAO-HNS Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- 2001 Gastroenterology Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA.
- 2001 Introduction to Medical Device Law and Regulation. Sponsored by Food and Drug Law Institute. Washington, DC.
- 2000 International ISO/IEC Joint Meeting on Cardiac Pacemakers, New York, NY.
- 2000 Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2000 National Institute of Health – Technology Assessment Conference on Improving Medical Implant Performance Through Retrieval Information: Challenges and Opportunities, Bethesda, MD.
- 2000 10th Annual AAMI/FDA International Conference on Medical Device Standards and Regulation, McLean, VA.
- 1999 Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation Annual Meeting, Boston, MA.
- 1999 Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- 1999 Second Annual Controversies in Facial Plastic Surgery Meeting, Key Largo, FL.
- 1999 Twentieth Annual Meeting of the American College of Toxicology, McClean, VA.
- 1998 American College of Toxicology Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL.
- 1998 International Workshop to Evaluate Research Needs on the Use and Safety of Medicinal Herbs, National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Environmental Health Science, Raleigh, NC.
- 1998 Science, Information and the Media: Communicating the Promise and the Reality of New Medical Technology, Medical Technology Leadership Forum, Minneapolis, MN.
- 1997 Certification in Health Care Management, University of Miami, Miami, FL.
- 1997 Softlight TM Hair Removal Workshop, Miami, FL.
- 1996 Laser Surgery Workshop, Orlando, FL.
- 1994 Clinical Plastic Surgery Symposium, Orlando, FL.
- 1994 Live Cutaneous Laser Surgery Workshop, Madison, WI.
- 1993 Glycolic Peel, Minneapolis, MN.
- 1992 Facial Skin Malignancies Symposium, Orlando, FL.
- 1992 Rejuvenation – Aging Forehead, Facial Flaps, Dermabrasion, Orlando, FL.
- 1992 Modern Approaches to Chemical Peel, Innovations and Controversies in Blepharoplasty, Palm Desert, CA.
- 1992 Rejuvenation of the Face, Indianapolis, IN.
- 1992 The Law and the Physician, GA.
- 1991 Facial Plastic Surgery Preceptorship with Dr. Frank Kammer, Beverly Hills, CA.